Wednesday 5 March 2014

March 2014 To Be Read Pile

I am going to start doing TBR's and trying to stick to them. I need somethingto motivate my reading so hopefully I'll get through a lot of these this month (at least then I'll be able to a buy a few more :D )

March to be read pile – 5 books maximum
·        The Kingmaker’s Daughter by Philippa Gregory (Cousins War series) – I really enjoyed watching the television show The White Queen which is based on Philippa Gregory’s Cousins War book series. The series follows key female characters that were a part of the Wars of the Roses in England in the 1400s. The Kingmaker’s Daughter focuses on Anne Neville, the daughter of Warwick the ‘Kingmaker’, who put king of England of the time King Edward III on the throne. I am a really big history geek and love learning about royal families of the past. Before watching the TV show I hadn’t heard of any of the historical figures so I like to read historical fiction book based on these historical figures to try and get a glimpse of what life may have been like for them in the time period. I’m not even 100 pages into this yet which is really bad so I need to get a move on before I can move onto another book :P






·        If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch – The plot of this book sounds really interesting and intriguing to me. The tagline is “What happens in the woods stays in the woods” which immediately makes me wonder what is going to happen in the story. I have skim read the first few pages and the writing style almost reminds me of Blood Red Road by Moira Young (one of my favourite books ever check it out :D) so that gives me high hopes. This cover is quite cool, the way you can see lots of yellow trees and 3 yellow figures dotted throughout which must represent the characters.


·        Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers – I’m going to be honest. I’ve tried to read this book before but I just couldn’t get past the first few chapters – I just think I wasn’t in the mood to read historical fiction at the time but I’m willing to give it another go as a lot of people seem to like it. It definitely has an interesting concept – assassin nuns - that just sounds so funny when I think about it. Anyway I hope I will enjoy it the next time around.

·        The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan – this book sounds pretty good – it is about two sisters and their mother moving to Paris after learning their brother has gone missing. I’m definitely interested in any book that’s set in Paris – it looks like an amazing city to visit and I’m really intrigued by the story. I haven’t heard a whole lot about it either so I’m going in with not a lot of expectations.


·       Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor – I started reading this book last month but struggled to get through it a bit – I feel a bit bad because I know the book and its sequel are very hyped up and a lot of people love them. Parts of it are good for me and other parts are okay;  I’m not saying I dislike it but I hope it picks up as the book goes along as I would really love to become addicted to the series like everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment