Monday 22 July 2013

New England Rocks by Christina Courtenay - Review

Publisher: Choc Lit

Published: 2013

Length: 202 pages

Format: paperback

Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary from Goodreads:
When Rain Mackenzie is expelled from her British boarding school, she can’t believe her bad luck. Not only is she forced to move to New England, USA, she’s also sent to the local high school, as a punishment. Rain makes it her mission to dislike everything about Northbrooke High, but what she doesn’t bank on is meeting Jesse Devlin. Jesse is the hottest guy Rain’s ever seen and he plays guitar in an awesome rock band! There’s just one small problem, Jesse already has a girlfriend, little miss perfect Amber Lawrence, who looks set to cause trouble as Rain and Jesse grow closer. But what does it matter? New England sucks anyway, and Rain doesn’t plan on sticking around. Does she?

Review:
This is my second time reviewing a book from Choc Lit and I really enjoyed New England Rocks. This was my first Christina Courtenay book, but it definitely won’t be my last, as I really found her writing style easy to read and engaging. At first, I wasn’t sure how I felt about Rain; she was a little bratty and I wasn’t sure if I would warm to her, but after a few chapters I really started to like her and her ‘don’t care’ attitude. I certainly wouldn’t be brave enough to join an all-boys sports team like she did.

It was also really fun watching her and the American characters bond, especially with the culture clash, her being from the UK, and the American characters not understanding her British slang most of the time. I also really loved her and Jesse as a couple. He was just so sweet and perfect sounding and their relationship was really fun to read about as they grow closer and begin to fall for each other. I don’t think I can find a single fault with Jesse; he was just great in every way!

Although I could tell where the story was heading pretty quickly, I definitely enjoyed the ride and Rain is definitely a fun rebellious character, other girls in YA need to become more like her!

Overall, I look forward to reading more in this series and Christina Courtenay’s other novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment